In the past year I have worked to become relevant in the Salsa Scene in my fair city. Lessons, attendance at all venues and late nights paid off. Finally, some of the best dancers know my name and I dance my heart out any night I please. But…that is as far as the relationships go.
I don’t like to tell people what sort of work I do.
They either open up or shut down.
I’m just there to dance.
One particular man…I’ll call him Luis…is an incredible dancer. He is Latino, bald and doesn’t have many inches on me. (I’m 4’10”) One night, following dance after dance Luis told me…
“I like you…I like you… but I like you” (more times than I can type here.)
He then upped the ante saying “I love you...I love you”
(please imagine this all with a Hispanic accent)
When I told him I had a boyfriend whom I loved, he asked me:
“Why is he not here with you?”
I told him of the distance.
He replied, “I would never leave you like that, it’s your eyes. They smile, I love you...”
It was all very amusing. My girlfriends and I laughed about it until…
At the monthly event of all salsa events in July, we found a flyer plastered all over the women’s bathroom. It read:
ATTENTION
One particular man…I’ll call him Luis…is an incredible dancer. He is Latino, bald and doesn’t have many inches on me. (I’m 4’10”) One night, following dance after dance Luis told me…
“I like you…I like you… but I like you” (more times than I can type here.)
He then upped the ante saying “I love you...I love you”
(please imagine this all with a Hispanic accent)
When I told him I had a boyfriend whom I loved, he asked me:
“Why is he not here with you?”
I told him of the distance.
He replied, “I would never leave you like that, it’s your eyes. They smile, I love you...”
It was all very amusing. My girlfriends and I laughed about it until…
At the monthly event of all salsa events in July, we found a flyer plastered all over the women’s bathroom. It read:
ATTENTION
(A real picture of him)
Ladies, DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN!
Please, do not trust this man. He is an attempted rapist. He will try to take advantage of you, if you are drunk.
******************************************
Good thing I NEVER drink when I dance!
Signed,
La Salsera!

A- Enjoying the blog. I think I've told you of my own dancing escapades with Joshua the Kenyan, where he told me he wanted to get a green card and marry me and kept yelling "Mine! Mine!" when another guy tried to cut in. What is it about the dance floor that allows guys to become so forward?
ReplyDelete