This year I ran the Post Oak 10k trail race. My new (first and only) husband ran it with me. I talked him into it.
It was sort of a bummer to think I was only running the 10k. I signed up for the 25k but asked Johnny Spriggs if I could drop down to the 10k early that week. I was congested and under the weather the weekend prior and didn't get to run much. Last year I doubled (25K and half marathon) and I wanted to do this again but this year there were lots of good reasons why I shouldn't so I didn't.
Walter and I got up and out the house pretty well. Sat inside the lodge by the fire warming up, we chatted with a few Runner's World folks.
We kicked it off with the gunshot, though we kept to the back of the crowd. I passed a lady wearing a sign on her back that said..."It's my 67th birthday." I wished her HB as did many who saw the sign.
Walter and I followed the pink ribbons through the trails at the Botanical Gardens, hiked it up Holmes Peak, and made it up and back down 'The Hill from Hell'.
Many of our Runner's World friends cheered us on at the 'disco' aid station. This is where we got our only pic of the day. At this aid station they offered Luna bars, bacon, breakfast tacos, potato chips, m&m's, the traditional boiled 'taturs' with salt for dipping and more.
Some Fleet Feet folks manned an aid station at the foot of the "Hill from Hell" and there was something about the simplicity of it that I appreciated. All they offered was water, beer and rolos. I LOVE trail running!
The race was tougher than I thought it would be. More technical with lots of rocks, inclines, mud and single track trail. Walter's knee started acting up and he walked the last half. I may have pushed him into something that he wasn't trained for. I crossed the finish line just about 10-15 minutes before he did...right before the lady with the 67th birthday.
Post Oak race is so well organized it seems to run really smooth. It has really good swag. We got cups, shirts, stickers and really neat engraved coaster type finisher medals.
I still had enough energy to take a stray dog to the SPCA and Pet Smart and cope with car trouble after the 10K but that is a whole 'nother story....for next time.
Hopefully my next race report is about the Snake Race!!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment