Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Race Report: The Color Run

I have been looking forward to the Color Run ever since I first heard about it back in the spring.  I blogged about here. I had thoughts about how this could be my most awesome 5k ever.  But life got in the way.  Plus- the Color Run isn't even timed so it's not really about anything but having fun. 

Walter was suffering from a cold and so he opted out.  Saturday morning I headed to Veteran's park on my own.  My sister was running, but neither she nor her husband answered their phones and I guessed they had left them in the car.  As I walked down 21st I surveyed the sea of white.  There were 10,000 runners lining up!  I snapped some pictures.  I especially loved the tutus!




This guy looked awesome!  I wish I had seen him after the race!


Just when I was feeling sorry for myself for being alone in a crowd, I literally 'bumped' into my sister.    She was with her husband, another couple and a friend.  Yay!  Now I had a pack to run with.  She is wearing a straw hat our dad gave her for her birthday a few weeks ago.  It helped me find her in the crowd more than once.  


The biggest downer about this race was waiting a full 45 minutes in the start coral after the gun when went off.  We had not anticipated this and were all feeling grumpy, hot and dehydrated before we even got to run!  We tried to put this behind us when we finally got our first sprinkle of color before taking off.  Here is a shot of my sis and her friend waiting in line for the fountain on Riverside.


Here we are at the fountain.  I'm excited about my turquoise speckles!


There was just one official water stop at the turn around on Riverside and it was mobbed.  It seemed clear there were not enough volunteers and in the chaos, I lost my pack.  I  ran the rest on my own.  When I got back I took a few more shots.  I don't know who this lady is but it gives you an idea about how people looked at the finish.  


When I crossed the finish line I headed to the main stage for a "color bomb".  This isn't my pic, it's from the TATUR Facebook page but it really captures what it was like to be inside.





Here is another picture from TATUR- Prolly a professional photographer.  Doesn't it look awesome?
  It was.  



Here I am when I got home.  Wearing my color with pride.  


ps.  Glad to hear that the Color Run WILL be returning to Tulsa in 2013 IF they can secure 400 volunteers. Hmmm, I might be one of them...

1 comment:

  1. How long did it take to wash off? Sorry we missed you at the finish line. I got color, sweat, & sunblock in my eyes and my eyes were burning! I had to throw away my contacts)

    ReplyDelete