Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Telecommunication



This is picture is the first telephone device as invented by Alexander Graham Bell in 1875. I've been thinking about phones recently...probably since mine was shut off two days ago due to the upcoming move.

I'm recalling that when I moved to My Fair City the first time (1997), I was proud of my research of long distance plans for land lines. I went with MCI for their $.05 per minute long distance and their "free Fridays." Since I was pretty homesick, I called friends and family a lot. I remember that budgeting for this was conscious, deliberate, and challenging for me as a hairstylist/grad student.

In 2000 I got my first cell phone. Free long distance calls. That pretty much changed my life.

2005 enter digital phones...I got one last fall. I went with Vonage and was really happy with them. $25.00 per month unlimited long distance in the US and Canada. This put an end to irritating bad connections and dropped calls.

Ironically, I'm not a big phone person. Certainly not as into talking on them as a lot of people I know. Anyway, right now the cell phone is my only means of telecommunication...for the time being. Who knows what the next five year will bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment