Friday, December 01, 2006

Strawberry Blonde

I'm changing the name of my blog.
For a few reasons.

Strawberry blonde brings warm memories, as some of my earliest recollections involve people commenting on my hair color and describing it as such. Later, working as a hairstylist showed me how much peoples looks and personal style can be an expression of their inner selves.

Also, I want to separate myself from my professional identity right now and having a psychological type blog name doesn't help me do this. I've just earned the doctorate, but somehow I'm in a place where I'm hoping to be appreciated as a person, not a professional. Maybe it's licensing exam prep procrastination or just being lonely in a new city. Regardless, when strangers learn what I do for a living, they either open up (way up) or shut down (end of conversation.)

Can anyone relate to this? Ever wanted to separate yourself from an aspect of yourself?

2 comments:

  1. like the new name, i had forgotten your former life in the beauty industry....i can appreciate the wish to be away from your professional life....i recently started a professional library blog and have begun thinking of making "in the stacks" something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the change. I didn't want to say anything, but I didn't like the old blog name. It was too weird.

    ReplyDelete