Sunday, January 07, 2007

Kurt


The music and life of Kurt Cobain fascinate me. This fascination baffles me...I didn't particularly like his music until the unplugged album. I remember hearing of his suicide and feeling very sad for a few days. His death seemed significant for me and my fellow gen Xers in a big picture kind of way. In more recent years I read the Charles Cross biography, his journals and as I write this I am watching Last Days, a Gus Van Saint film inspired by Cobain's last days. It's beautiful, sad, and painful at times and I suspect...not terribly discrepant from the reality. He was a fugitive from his own life and the reality of heroine (as he spelled it) addiction is plain to see. I respect what lay beneath...beneath the drugs, alcohol, pajamas & old man sweaters. A creative, deliberate, intelligent, self-made artist whose death was a complete waste. Dam it Kurt. What a waste.



No comments:

Post a Comment