Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Greek Yogurt

Real Greek yogurt is hard to find. I found the FAGE brand at Central Market, but it was $2.00 for 8oz. So...I discovered using regular non-fat plain yogurt you can pick up in quart size containers, you can make rich, creamy, world sought after Greek style yogurt yourself! I did this over the weekend and have been delighting in the treat every morning for breakfast. This is the method:
1. Dump the store bought non-fat plain yogurt into a cheese cloth.
2. Hang over a bowl (tie ends of cheesecloth around sink faucet or cupboard handle) and allow whey to drip out.
3. Leave for about 12 hours. Yogurt will reduce in size by about half.
4. Return to original yogurt container.
8 oz = 12o calories. I top mine with honey and almonds and is seems the most decadent treat, but it's actually very healthy with just 80 calories for 5.5 oz and no fat (plus it's so rich eating more than 5.5 oz seems unthinkable!). It's packed with zinc, calcium and live cultures that keep healthy intestinal flora.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:05 PM

    Wait 12 hours? You are certainly so much more patient than I am. But then again, that's probably why your BMI is in better shape than mine! :)

    >^..^<

    ReplyDelete