Since signing up for a 1/2 marathon running group a month ago, I've been running a lot more...with others. I've read the Ask Miles column in Runner's World for running etiquette for years, but in the past week I've encountered so many off-putting behaviors from other runner's that I've got to blog about it. Three main incidents:
Christians
On my first group one lady I'll call Blondie was just behind me. I was sort of on my own in between the 9 and 12 pace groups. It was cold and we were on a long snowy stretch. Out of the quiet I hear her exclaim "Jesus!" I turn and ask her if she is okay. She yells back that she is fine. A short while later I hear her again and louder this time. "Jeeasus!" Again, I turn and yell back, "Are you okay?" She smiles and says she is. Then she yells "I'm prayin'!" I swear it never dawned on me.
Also Blondie Spits
Spitting happens I know...I've seen runner's do it. Maybe I have done it one or two times. But she spits a lot. So much that I am afried to pass on the right for fear of getting hit.
Stinking
Tonight it was around 5 degrees outside so I ran on the treadmill. It was going okay. Then a guy got on the mill next to me and started stinking. It was pretty bad. Actually, I think I've smelled him before in the gym. I had 2.5 miles to go. I alternated breathing through my nose and mouth and got through it. He left just before I finished. And then do you know how when you are round a really bad smell it can get burned into your nose? Well, that happened and I kept smelling the BO. Then as I stretched out I started to worry that it was really me that smelling. At this point I couldn't tell. I went home and showered right away.
I hope the postive social running aspects start to outnumber these tribulations.
Thanks for a good laugh - if you are coming to Oklahoma you better learn to say JE-A-SUS! so you can fit in with the rest of us Oakies- I smelled BO briefly last week --it was the first time I have smelled a bad smell in 24 years!!! I'll never tell who I could smell- ever!
ReplyDeleteHahahaha...this is hilarious. I can very much relate to the BO story.
ReplyDeleteHmm, I have hunch who it could have been.
ReplyDeleteHAHAHAHA...Lars and I just got a huge laugh out of this....especially thinking about just who caused Mom to get her first bad smell:) We love reading your blog...always entertaining and interesting!
ReplyDeleteNow you know from your years in the ED, there is a special type of funk among certain clients. Was it that bad?
ReplyDeleteAnd spitting is just gross. Yuck.
Melissa,
ReplyDeleteIt was comparable. Although I suspect this dude showers unlike the ED people...I think he might be one of those few people that just have a really bad smell. Sad for him.
People in Kenya had a very "spicy" BO...I think it is dependent on your diet and skin flora. He probably has a weird diet.
ReplyDelete