Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Masters of Midway

At Midway High School during the years that I was there we had 8 teachers.  And they were all married...to each other.

Mr. & Mrs. Whitman
Mr. & Mrs. Golden
Mr. & Mrs. King
Mr. & Mrs. Laymen

There was also Mrs. Ward...but she only taught home ec.

I often wondered how this affected all the students, because to me it seemed like there was always someone keeping track of us.  Sort of like 4 sets of parents.

After moving home to Oklahoma this year, I reconnected with a friend who reminded me of a funny story.
One day after two friends and I finished our morning at Indian Capitol Vo-Tech in Muskogee (Cosmetology aka Beauty School) we decided to skip the afternoon at Midway (in Council Hill, Oklahoma) and go to the mall.  At the mall who did we run into?  Mr. Whitman!  He was picking up basket ball uniforms and when he saw us he said..."girls, get back to school."  At that point our plan seemed thwarted so there really wasn't anything left to do...except go back to school.  So that is what we did.

2 comments:

  1. that was funny - I think moving to Oklahoma is like stepping back in time - way back

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, Mr. Whitman :) He was such a nice guy.

    ReplyDelete