Sunday, April 18, 2010

Bit of Earth






This weekend has been all about my bit of earth (Secret Garden reference here...). For the first time I've got my very own bit of earth to dig into. My dad came up and helped me prepare a bed for a vegetable garden. It was cool and rainy this weekend which was perfect weather for this task. I am also doing herbs in containers. As for flowers I have some great per-annuals. Azaleas, rhododendrons, little clumps of old fashioned violets, tulips, iris, a huge old climbing rose, large established peony, and tons of a yellow flowering shade loving nettles.








This has long been one of my favorite poems:
 


Larkspur and Hollyhock,
Pink Rose and purple Stock,
Lovely smelling Mignonette,
Lilies not quite opened yet,
Phlox the favorite of bees,
Bleeding Heart and Peonies -
Just their names are nice to say,
Softly,
On a summer’s day.

 - Dorothy Aldis.              
 

No comments:

Post a Comment