One of the goals I'd like to achieve this summer is to spend more time in quiet reflection/mindfulness. This is brought on by an increasing self-observation that I am generally overstimulated.
For example: As I write this I am watching the Stanley Cup Finals, checking email, checking Facebook, checking CNN, doing laundry and am thinking that nothing exciting is happening. Generally, feeling very bored. I often multi-task and nearly everyday I have multiple email accounts open, address clinical issues and keep tabs on the CNN page. Without all these sources of input I feel anxious, nervous and fraze. I'd like increase my comfort with quiet and stillness. Allow my inner world to grow and quiet some of the external chatter. Plan: Turn it all off! Think. Feel. Run. Yoga. Read. Music might be okay. But try hard to do One Thing At A Time.
One of the reasons I quit my blog and Flickr was I became addicted to the feedback and comments-- I was like a rat who keeps pressing the bar for a reward - I am now limiting my time on facebook, my blog and flickr - also the number of times/per day I can check -
ReplyDeleteMy theory for a very long time is TV and Sesame Street trains the brain to have constantly changing input- no long attention span required - (if in doubt time how long one image stays on the screen) - I believe it is a major contributory factor to ADD and hyperactivity - hope you find something that makes mindfullness easy - my art and dulcimer help me alot - Lov U