Sunday, July 10, 2011

My Garden Pond

 My project began this spring.  I decided to excavate the water garden which I was pretty sure occupied this space previously.  At first I thought of putting in a fire pit there...but with all the plantings it just wasn't right.

I started digging.  Slowly, on my own, here and there.  I figured that I would give myself permission to work on this project at will.  Not forcing or threatening myself to get the job done.  Just working at a persistent pace.

I also went to the library and got tons of books about water gardens.  I also consulted with my good friend Ken J. who has had several garden ponds.

I found stuff as I excavated.  Flowerpots, bricks, lot of rocks.  I found remnants of an old pond liner, foam and a layer of sand.    I kept the shape of the pond sort of organic.  I dug about 36 inches deep.  And built a shelf for pond plants.

This is a picture of the final hole.


 Next I set in the liner and gradually filled the pond, smoothing down the folds and creases.

I lined the edges with the paving stones and rock that I had and that had filled the excavation hole.  I did buy river rock to fill in bits between the pond and brick walkway.

The filter I bought is a floating lighted unit with three different fountain sprays.

I got plant life from Southwoods, but it was hard to find water garden stuff this late in the season.
 Here is the pond a few weeks later.  The pond plants have filled out and things are going great.  I am wondering how hot the water is...if it is too hot for fish.

That will be the next addition.

I am very proud of this modest 'hole in the ground' filled with water and plant life.  Built all by myself on my very own piece of property.

The dragon flies love it!

3 comments:

  1. Now THAT'S amazing! I'm amazed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic job, Arena! I'm sure the Mewler sisters will be quite intrigued with the pond (and the future life in the pond).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic job and excellent blog of the process! Whee are all of the sweaty stinky photos? You made the process look easier than it ever was for us. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did ours. You may want to give the fish a broken pot or something to hide in to avoid the Mewlers or other critters.

    ReplyDelete