Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Willing Wednesday: Tears at the track

I wasn't ready for the University of Tulsa (TU) Track workout on Tuesday night.  I was just coming off four day weekend in Miami which included more than one of the seven deadly sins.  To be truthful, I ate obscene amounts of fabulous food and drank plenty of frozen cocktails and wine.

I don't know anything about running on a track.  I do know 8 times around is a mile but that is all.  But I was willing and even a little bit excited about the track workout.  We got a message a few days ahead with the workouts for the summer and our group.    These are the numbers that show up for my group.


200m  300m    400m  600m  800m  1000m  1200m  1 mile  
>1:00   >1:45  >2:03  >3:27  >4:15   > 5:46  >:7:16   >9:00

It was hot, I had a burning in my chest after 2 laps but pushed through three at the 'correct' speed.  But then I couldn't do much more.  It was so tough!  I fell in behind some Runner's World folks for a few more laps but stopped for water and turned to head home.  I was upset about my lack of conditioning, mad at myself for over-indulging so much when I know it makes me feel like crap and to top it off I still had to walk/run the mile home.

I sneaked off the track hoping I wouldn't be missed.

When I got home I worked in the yard for a bit and felt myself re-grouping.  When I crawled into bed that night my legs felt a good tired feeling.  I reminded myself how new all this speed work on a track is.  I felt more determined to give it my all in the weeks to come.  I felt satisfied in spite of the tears.

2 comments:

  1. Arena,

    4 times around the track is a mile. 1 time around is 400m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty,
    told you I didn't know anything about running on a track and that is proof positive! I was also in a hurry when I wrote this post...
    smiles.

    ReplyDelete