I signed up for the 50. I got help with a training schedule from Kathy Hoover at Runners World. I ended up running my fourth marathon and my second 50k as training runs. :)
But after these long runs- life happened and truth be told, I didn't keep up with my training as much as I should have.
The night before the race I made a list and gathered everything together, crossing the items off as I went.
I also made some dumb decisions including only five and half hours of sleep, wearing brand new shoes and trying new feet stuff/blister protection on race day.
The morning of the race I was nervous! I was concerned and thinking....I am under-trained.
![]() |
| Center of the Universe- at about mile 5 (I saw this again at mile 30.) |
![]() |
| Here we are at The Golden Driller- about mile 12 |
Things heated up quickly. No one really had the chance to acclimate yet since it just got hot. Also there was hardly any shade on the course. I was very concerned about getting a blistering burn even with the spf 30 I had slathered on. (Note to self- next time wear a long sleeve white shirt in addition to spf) Our meteorologist/running friend, Mark Plate, even reported that out of all the major reporting stations, only Tallahassee, Florida was hotter than Tulsa. (We were even hotter than Phoenix!)
Every Quick Trip stop I put ice in my bandanna and water bladder. I drank Gatorade with ice almost exclusively and took salt tabs. That helped, I don't think I ever overheated.
The first loop took me 9 hours. It was very difficult to think about going back out. But, after resting, eating, changing, using a foam roller, I decided too. I got in 8 more miles for a total of 33 before throwing in the towel. Walter came and picked me up.
Somethings I learned:
*Do What You Know Works For You- It wasn't smart of me to try the new shoes and blister stuff on race day. My feet stayed way too wet. Next time I want to try using Secret and 2Toms powder to help keep my feet dry.
*Have a plan - Every time we got to a QT I kind of wandered around in a daze not sure what I wanted to eat or drink. Looking back I would have made a plan and been prepared to get and go.
After the race:
I wish I had hung in for at least 2 more miles for a nice round 35. Heat rash covered my calves, thighs and was spotty on my torso. It made an ice bath too painful so I have been hobbling around the past two days. My feet continue to hurt.
Heartfelt Thank You! to the folks that supported us, volunteered and helped out during the race.



No comments:
Post a Comment