Thursday, January 24, 2008

Eyes on the Prize



Last night in honor of the Bowling Green State University's Martin Luther King Week celebration Myrlie Evers-Williams spoke about how people can continue the civil rights movement. Her talk was inspirational, encouraging and personal. She shared about how her life and the things she has struggled for have not been easy. She talked about the assisinations of her husband, Dr. King, JFK, and Malcom X. She talked about going through three trials to finally convict the man who shoot her husband in their driveway. I remember seeing The Ghosts of Mississippi in high school. That spurred my interest in going to her talk. Also during the talk I couldn't help but notice a group of about four young African Amercian men sitting in front of me. They seemed to love her talk. Especially when a professor asked a negative question to the like of "Aren't all our young people spoiled, entitled and going down a bad road?" She countered with "I think young people are just great!" and went on from there to elaborate. Her primary message seemed to be Keep your Eyes on the Prize. I'm really glad I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment