Saturday, December 26, 2009

My African Heart

This is great story that I don't think I've written about yet. It took place a couple of years ago shortly after I moved to Ohio. It was time for my annual female appointment and physical. Since I didn't really know anyone I randomly picked a doctor who was taking new patients from my insurance website.

When I got to her office first clue that things were not as they should be were the life size glamour shots of children (Her daughters?) who looked to be about 2&4 but were dressed like Vegas showgirls. When I met the doctor she seemed nice enough, a little absent minded (she repeatedly asked me if I wanted a flu shot despite my telling her the last time I got one I broke out in hives and had trouble breathing.) Then, she told me that she used "therapy dogs" in her practice since many people are nervous going to the doctor. Great, I thought. That is really nice. As a psychologist I'm a big supporter of emotional service dogs. Then I saw the dogs she had. Three adult Maltese looking dogs wandering the office suite in rhinestone collars, no jaunty little service vests. I quickly realized these were just her pets. Period. Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised when on my way out of the office I saw three Maltese puppies in a playpen at the nurses’ station.


But I digress ...

The doctor told me that with my annual physical I could have an EKG. "It's free" she said. Sure why not. I'd never had one and was curious. It was all good until the nurse came back and said, there were two arrhythmias on my EKG. "Right here...(nurse points to her upper chest neck area) it's probably just stress." Doctor wanted me to follow up with a stress test. Needless to say I was highly alarmed and by that point wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible. I got a copy of the EKG and bolted. (Okay, I might have petted one of the puppies.) After consulting with Nurse Heasley (mom) and Doctor Mueller (sister) I went straight to a cardiologist. He interviewed me, learned I was a runner and then listened to my heart....for a long time. I was anxious until he said "Wow." He then said he rarely got the opportunity to hear a heart so healthy and something about two sounds blending to one. He then explained that the reason the EKG was abnormal was that it was...so healthy! So healthy for a 30 y/o Caucasian woman. He said there was an arrhythmia present...one that is mostly commonly seen in Young, Athletic, African American Men! What a relief! He advised me to carry a miniature version of the EKG in my wallet so just in case of a medical emergency it can be known what is normal for me.
Even now, Walter sometimes jokes about my African Heart. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. I am interested in the glamour shots of the children- they truly creep me out - even if they are not of children-

    ReplyDelete