Wednesday, April 06, 2011

A Long Day in the Woods: Lake Mc Murtry 50K Race Report

The day began with the early start, 7am, with a handful of runners including Mitch and Kate who would turn out to be my pack for the adventure.  Most other began at 8am, but this gave us a nice extra hour of comfort.  It was just sunrise which gave the trails a touch of mysterious beauty.

The course is essentially a figure eight, with each loop a little bit over seven miles.  The first (and third) loop of the course was my favorite.  Perhaps this was due to the Leap 'O Doom.  Much speculation around this 'epic' leap took place.  And... contrary to rumor...it wasn't a drainage ditch.  In fact, it packed just the perfect amount of fear resulting in a little extra adrenaline which always helps.  I did catch this awesome pic of Kate making the leap...but no other spoilers here.



Also along the route there were lake views, meadows, red dirt hollowed paths and areas so thick with junipers that their purple/blue berries covered the trail reminding me of an enchanted forest passage.


For most of the first 25K Mitch kept the lead, Kate the middle and I brought up the rear.  I often lagged behind, just moving slow, taking pictures, and soaking in the surroundings.  We chatted about about life, family and relationships.  We talked about why we run- the stories- the people-the awesome aid stations- the medals- the personal challenge.


The last half (I think it was) Mitch and Kate let me take the lead and I fell into a really easy, gentle pace, walking hills and steep descents.  Late in the day it started to get pretty warm.  I found myself chanting several different mantas.  Early on:  This is why you came.  Mid-run:  When the going gets tough the tough get going.  Late in the day:  Easy does it.

The last seven miles were long.  We stopped chatting.  Kate and Mitch seemed okay with me keeping the lead and I was really grateful.  It helped me do the best I could knowing they were right behind me and it encouraged me to run if at all possible...which for the most part we all did.

The feeling of running the last 500 yards was incredible.  It was over.  Or almost over.  Just like that I was running up the steps-getting my medal-getting hugged by Tom Robinson-and getting emotional.  Right away I got food and beer and we had a great time visiting and icing in the beer pool while the volunteers packed it all in.


Super fun experience.  I'd highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment