Thursday, November 17, 2011

The Sweetest Day

 The weekend of October 22nd I traveled to Chicago to attend the Adler School of Professional Psychology homecoming.  I was an honoree, receiving the 2011 Outstanding Alumni Award.

It was such a wonderful night.  The new Adler campus is two stories in a Chicago high rise, glass class rooms, open spaces, very high tech.

Walter and I checked into our hotel, napped and walked to the campus.  We were met with coat check, name tags, live jazz band, libations and food.


 Shortly, after we arrived my mother, sister, aunt and grandmother arrived.  We took lots of pics.  It was especially meaningful that my 86 year old grandmother attended.  She is my role model and mentor in so many ways.  And I lived with her and grandpa for a year when I began the Psy.D. program.

Throughout the night she was reminiscing about the past, recounting all the 'infamous' family stories...the time I said "Jesus Christ there's a leaf in my salad..." at about age 4.  But she also was in the present, repeating how proud she is of me.  She also got very teary-and stated several times..."Walter is just so handsome!"

I know that mom and I were thrilled to meet Margot Adler who is an NPR reporter and Alfred Adler's grandaughter.  She gave a brief interesting and funny talk.  It was such a wonderful night and weekend, one I will never forget.



No comments:

Post a Comment