Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Willing Wednesday: Barriers


My primary reason for not being willing this week is not feeling good and pain.  Afterall, I did have three impacted wisdom teeth ripped out of my head 10 days ago.  And sadly, at age 37 it is a lot tougher to bounce back.  Why, oh why, didn't I make that appointment when I was 18?  The pain, not feeling good, side-effects of medication have held me back from doing things I would have prefered to be doing.  Good reasons right?  Yeah.  Good reasons. 

It is easy to get roped into the idea that thoughts, feelings and what we tell ourselves about why we are they way we are (life stories) are the causes of behavior.  "I've had a rough week, I should indulge myself with a big meal."  “I had a hard day, so I don't think I"ll go to the gym."   “I'm too tired to call my sister.”  "I don't feel good, I'll just lay on the couch all evening."

But reasons are not causes.  Reasons are not causes.  Think about this.  Our thoughts, feelings and life stories are associated with our behavior, but they are not causal.  Reasons get in the way of Willingness to do the things that we REALLY want to do- the things that are of value to us.  

I can have a rough week AND stay on track with my diet plan.
I can have a hard day AND go the gym.
I can be tired AND call my sister.
I can feel bad AND do something that is important and of meaning to me. 

Chances are I'll even feel better about life if I do the things that matter to me in the face of the struggles life throws up.  Staying on track with my nutrician, fitnees and taking care of my relationships are some of my top values...they could be different for you. 

Am I making sense here?  Following?  How does this square up with your own experience?

2 comments:

  1. I can so relate to this!! You must be a mind reader!! :) Thanks for this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patty! So glad it spoke to you!

    ReplyDelete