Thursday, August 23, 2012

What feeds you?

Lately I've been pondering this question.
It stems back to a scene in the Sex in the City movie (Shhhh- It's a guilty pleasure) when Carrie says that when she first moved to New York City she sometimes chose to buy a Vogue magazine instead of dinner because she felt it fed her more.  I know, I know, you could smirk and comment about fashion, models, weight or starvation but this is not the direction this post is going to go so stay with me.

Can you relate that feeling, the feeling of being inspired by art, fashion, a movie, a character?
Inspired in a way that refreshes, resets and helps you keep striving?  I can for sure.

The book Breakfast with Buddha is also relevant here.  I didn't really want to read this book, but a co-worker loaned it to me before I had the chance to object.  So I'm reading it out of obligation or something.  The dude in the book is a glutton and eats three+ course meals every chance he gets.  But they don't feed him.  He has an empty hollowness and doesn't know why.  I still don't know why yet either because I'm only three quarters into it.

I'm carefully considering what feeds me.  Here is what I know so far:
  • Making Art (I had so much fun painting my cat at Pinot's Pallet a few weeks ago.)
  • Live music
  • The outdoors
  • Trail running
  • Shared experience with people I love
  • Being in nature
  • Being mindful/deliberate/thoughtful


My sister painted her dog, Rocky, on the left, Nosey painted by moi on the right.

But driving home from yoga in the park tonight I was thinking, the hard part is knowing what kind of nutrition you need.  Are you hungry for novelty?  Will a good talk with a friend satisfy you?  Maybe you need to dance your heart out?  Create  something?  A change of pace, a change of scenery, a new hair style?

After you hit on it you know.  It's like a hunger satisfied or a thirst quenched.  But knowing what you need is really hard.  How do you know what you need?

No comments:

Post a Comment