Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Endings are Beginnings: Marla's Happy Ending and New Beginning

It was cool evening in late February 2012 when I came home and saw her trotting down the street.  I thought I noticed someone trailing behind her and didn't think much of it, there are some people that walk dogs off leash in our neighborhood despite the fact that there IS a leash law.

A little later Walter got home and as he tells it,  "I opened my truck door and there she was, waiting for me." There wasn't anyone around and closer observation showed she was bloated, bruised and starving.  We brought her to our home (she came inside that night) and gave her some cat food.  We figured we'd drop her at the SPCA the next day.  Not so fast.  See the rest of her story here.  Long story short, we ended up fostering her for six months.  There were good times and bad times.  But through it all we knew her friendliness would win someone over. She also learned to walk on a leash, eat slowly, sit, wait, stay and shake a paw.

In mid September we got a call from George and Victoria from Cupid's Bridge.  They found her a home.  I started crying I was so happy.  The adoption would take place the following weekend.  We enjoyed our last week with her.  It was little sad to drop her off but we were also very happy.  Now our cats could roam without fear and we could leave town for a weekend if we wanted!

Marla in our rear view mirror



Victoria said that Marla's new person was someone she worked with, at the VA.  What a small world!  Up to this point I didn't even know that Victoria was a physician that worked in the VA where I work.  Jim, Marla's new person, is a Veteran who also works at the VA.  (They work at the main hospital and I am in several community clinics)  From what I was told, he tragically had his beloved Dalmatian mix stolen from his yard!  After some time to grieve, he and Victoria started talking about a new dog.  He wanted a pit.  He fell in love with Marla's pictures, videos and blog post.  He made the decision to adopt her.  Here they are together on their first day.  



Jim and Marla
Here is what George and Victoria had to say:  When we last saw Marla, she and her new Dad were playing in the floor with Marla laying on top of him. He called us about an hour after we left and said that when he had her crate about half put together Marla grabbed her blanket and took it into her crate. This girl knows what she likes.

Marla in her new home
Marla has been taking Jim on lots of walks and we hear that she is determined to get him in shape! She is an only dog and will be a faithful companion.  A happy ending for us and a new beginning for Marla and Jim.

Sincere thanks to all who provided us with services, support, advice and who re-posted Marla's pictures and story.

4 comments:

  1. I'm choked up. I love happy endings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim Alberty12:37 AM

    What a wonderful blog for a beautiful girl named Marla.. We are going to have a long and fruitful life together!!! Thank you for being such great foster parents!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool is that! So happy for everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool is that! So happy for everyone.

    ReplyDelete