Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Honesty Experiment

Friends-
I am embarking on something for the next month called The Honesty Experiment.  It is a little project, set up by Kira Newman, someone that I met several years ago at TAS Conference.  I remember we chatted about her name, she is in fact, named after one of Ayn Rand's heroines.  Now she writes for tech journals and has had some pieces published by the Huffing Post.

In The Honesty Experiment she acknowledges that for the most part, most of us, think of ourselves as honest people.  I know I do, but what does that really look like day to day?  And what would it look like if we brought a mindful, special attention to being honest with ourselves and others?  Here is how she explains it:


What does that mean? I’m not talking about radical, brutal honesty here – the kind that involves stopping a hipster on the street to inform him that Converse shoes are totally mainstream by now. I mean the thoughtful, considerate, but direct kind of honesty that involves telling the people you care about what’s on your mind when it’s relevant – and being honest enough with yourself to admit it in the first place. That could mean speaking up when you disagree with something your coworker does, or acknowledging your hidden ambitions, or just telling a loved one how you feel (good or bad).
What do I have to do? Every week, we’ll ask you to answer four questions by email:
  • How honest were you this week? 
  • What did it feel like?
  • What was the hardest part?
  • What positive changes have you noticed, if any?
__________________________________________________________________________ The Honesty Experiment starts tomorrow.  Here goes...


No comments:

Post a Comment